Skip to main content

Can courage the cowardly dog be the best cartoon ever ?!?!

 Greetings, peasants. I'm back with a controversial topic. Let's be honest here, Who doesn't like watching some good old cartoons? They are funny, visually beautiful to watch and a fun way to spend your time as a kid. But what if I told you there was a show which used stuff to repulse them from it but intrigued them enough just to watch one more episode? 

Let me introduce you to Courage the cowardly dog

        The show is about a kind, yet easily frightened dog named courage. He lives with an elderly couple Muriel and her husband Eustace Bagge, A grumpy, selfish and greedy man. Courage and the owners frequently encounter ghosts, demons, monsters, aliens, mad scientists, zombies and vampires. Courage generally saves the owners from the perils but unbeknownst to the couple. The plot generally uses conventions common to Horror films. 

This show in my personal opinion may be the best cartoon show to ever exist. Before coming after me with Tom and Jerry and scooby doo. Hear me out completely. 

1. Its name.

Should I need to say more? The name is perfecto. As a kid, I used to wonder why the dog's name was called courage if he gets scared all the time.  But I got older I really like that his name fits him so well. Courage is not the lack of fear. Courage is the ability to act and become strong even in the presence of fear. For that, courage is the most courageous character in the series. 

2. The show's insanity.

Cartoons generally fall into three categories, character-based ones like ed,edd and eddy or story-based ones like SpongeBob SquarePants or pure slapstick comedy like loony tunes. But what made courage the cowardly dog was its unexpectedness. Most of the show during the time was very predictable and it gave a sense of comfort knowing what was going to happen. Whenever you watch an episode of scooby doo, You know what is going to happen. It's the perfect mix of horror and slapstick humour. Times when the horror shows up it continues but when we least expect it the slapstick comes in and hits us in the right spot to make us laugh. 

3. The visuals.

When the shows airing at that time chose a type of style for the cartoon and went with it through the show but when it comes to courage the cowardly dog that was impossible. As the show's art style was hugely inspired by Salvador Dali an eccentric artist known for his weird paintings. So in a way, the art style for courage the cowardly dog was surreal yet bizarre. The show tried out stuff that other cartoons did not. Certain characters were so out of the style of the show which made them really scary.

4. The perfect blend of horror and comedy.

When I watched the show a few weeks back my first thought was, Wow! I watched this as a Kid? Even though it's terrifying to watch it. It's kinda comfort knowing that even though Muriel, Eustace and courage go to the brink of death in most of the episodes they don't die. Which could and would make them lose the younger audience. But the show does dabble with some dark, adult and grotesque jokes here and there, when asked most of the people the answer was that they never watched this show as a kid because it was too scary.







So, These are the reasons why I think this show was a great one. But just because I like this one doesn't mean I hate the others. I really like Teen titans go and Grim adventures of Bill and mandy and many more. I may be biased but out of all, I think this stands out for me. Kindly comment on what you think is the best cartoon to ever exist.


Until then,

Truly Greg ❤

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SONGS TO LISTEN TO WHILE MURDERING!!! 👑

 Salutations. Let's get something straight before starting, When we were younger, we all looked up to batman but as we grew up it was obvious who was more awesome: Joker. I can bet my head on the fact that everyone likes to be the villain rather than the protagonist.  Why I think villains are far cooler than heroes:  Aesthetics.  Most villains have a cool aesthetic. They naturally have a taste for the finer stuff which readers secretly adore too. Strategic nature  Readers enjoy strategic planning and the elaborate intelligence used by villains in manipulation rather than the pure inborn strength of most heroes. Relatable.  Heroes are already expected to win and for a good reason, I don't disagree, ie, their morals. But it's the persistence of villains even after our and perhaps even their knowledge that they'll fail that makes them likeable. Mystery.  The air they have about them of coldness, unpredictability and evil hooks the reader making them concentrate on the vill

15 cyanide and happiness dark humor comics that'll make you reserve a seat in hell.

 Shalom! When I was browsing bored panda I came across a post on comics by cyanide and happiness about two years ago and from that time I've been a regular to their comics on explosm.com and their shorts on youtube so I thought I'd share my most favourite ones. It may be inappropriate to laugh at some but dark humour is a good way to fuel our cynical nature. 😈 1. Asshole doctor 2. Best or worst kind of murder? 3. clone 4. Diagnosis 5. Expectations 6. Me too 7. Oof!  8. Pushing  9. Man-spider: returns office part 4  10. Relatable  11. Roasts 12. This is beautiful! 13. Trashman 14. Wake up   15. You sure you're not racist their pal? Okay! So that's the bunch I really like. Some of them made me guffaw and the rest made me laugh for days. I do have a lot of these strips so if you like them kindly comment for more. P.s: None of the above comics is mine. All the credits go to cyanide and happiness so do check them out at  Cyanide & Happiness (Explosm.net)   Until then, T